Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sadness and Joy

Dave and I went to the wedding of my dear great-niece, Jena, yesterday.  I had been looking forward to it for several weeks, and finally the big day arrived.  The weather was beautiful, the bride was stunning, the ring bearers were adorable and being surrounded by family, many of whom I hadn't seen in far too long, was the best.

The best and, also, the most difficult moment came when the bride and her dad, Robert, began their walk down the aisle.  I was so filled with joy that I was there to see her, and at the same instant, tears filled my eyes, as I remembered that moment in my own wedding last September, when I rounded the corner of our family room to see the man I adore, waiting for me with tears in his eyes.  As the tears appeared, Dave's grip on my hand tightened.  I knew he was thinking of the same moment.  I'm not sure how it's possible to feel so much joy, and so much sadness at the same time.

As Dave held my hand, I felt the heaviness lift, and the happiness return.  I am so glad that Jena, and her long-time friend and high school sweetheart, Cole, are now married, and I am thrilled that I was able to attend her wedding.  It was such a lovely ceremony!


No comments:

Post a Comment